Friday, December 26, 2014

Pumpkin Pie #3


Our third pumpkin pie recipe comes from The Amish & Dutch Cookbook. As a refresher for our minds, this cookbook shares recipes from restaurants in the “dutchy” part of Pennsylvania (or, like, all of it!). Some of the recipes, like the Lebkuchen, include enough ingredients to make large batches of a recipe, but this recipe hardly included enough for one! As a reminder, here is the comparison chart:

Recipe
Filling
Crust
Ease of Prep
Overall
New England
5
5
8
18
Pilgrim – Pies
7
7
4
18
Amish 1




Chiffon – Pies




Amish – 2





Pumpkin Pie

The book DOES NOT include a crust recipe for this pie, so I just made a standard one on my own.

2 eggs
1 C pumpkin
1 C milk
¾ C sugar
½ tsp salt
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tbsp cornstarch
butter (size of a walnut), melted

Yeah, that’s the real official ingredient list. Since “walnut-sized” felt a little too vague for me, I used 1 ½ tbsp of melted butter. Additionally, I don’t have a shaker of “pumpkin pie spice” in my cabinet, so instead I mixed nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cinnamon together (I actually wound up putting in around 2-3 tsp of spices total).

Beat eggs slightly, add other ingredients and melted butter.


That’s it. I’m not kidding. That is word-for-word from the book. No crust recipe. No baking temperature or length of time for baking. Flying almost blind, I used what I knew about the other pumpkin pies and baked this at 350oF for 1 ¼ hrs.


The pie came out okay, and we still ate it (again, I think you have to TRY to ruin a pumpkin pie), but it was not nearly as much fun as baking some of the other recipes. Additionally, because of the lack of instruction and strange ingredient list, the filling wound up with that strange cracked appearance on top, which does not look nearly as appetizing as the other pies.

As far as scoring, I will give this recipe a 5/10 for filling because, even though the ingredient list was not as thorough as I would have liked, the flavor of the filling was about average. I have to give a 0/10 for the crust because there was no crust recipe! And I will give this a 4/10 for ease of prep because I had to do A LOT of guess-timating. That brings this total score to a sad little 9. Better luck next time, Amish & Dutch Cookbook!


Recipe
Filling
Crust
Ease of Prep
Overall
New England
5
5
8
18
Pilgrim – Pies
7
7
4
18
Amish 1
5
0
4
9
Chiffon – Pies




Amish – 2





Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment