Friday, December 19, 2014

Risgrynsgröt


As the last “solitary” holiday dessert for this month before we begin the finale, I chose this very simple porridge (or rice pudding, as my family would call it) from TheScandinavian Cookbook. According to the cookbook, it is customary to serve this porridge community-style at holiday gatherings. Directly before serving, the host stirs a single blanched almond into the porridge. Each guest takes a turn eating a spoonful of porridge and then passes the dish on to the next person while saying a little rhyme. The person who finds the hidden almond in their spoonful of porridge will marry in the next year. Since we’re already married, I didn’t bother with the almond, but we did enjoy this simple dessert nonetheless.

Risgrynsgröt/Swedish Christmas Porridge

6 C milk
1 C rice (the book does not specify, so I used Arborio rice for a really creamy porridge)
3 tbsp sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp almond extract

Mix all ingredients together in a pot. I added cinnamon and almond extract because the mixture seemed so bland – I wanted to make it taste a little more festive. Cover and cook, simmering for 1-3 hours (depending on rice used), or until rice is very soft when pressed and mixture is quite thick.


That’s literally it. The recipe says that the porridge may be served with cinnamon sugar, milk, or a fruit sauce. I created a quick fruit sauce out of some fruit juice and jam I found in my fridge. We agreed that the porridge would have been very bland without my additions, but sometimes in this hectic season you just want something simple to enjoy in the evening curled up on the couch.


Next week will begin a marathon of comparison recipes!

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment