Monday, December 1, 2014

Sne Pudding


Happy birthday to my awesome sister! In my family, we don’t start decorating for the winter holidays or otherwise preparing for them until after her birthday so they don’t eclipse one another, so I'll share my happy birthday wishes before we get to the food.

For the entire month of December, I will be posting dishes that are winter-holiday-themed. I love winter, and I love snow, so the first dish of December is a snow dessert from The Scandinavian Cookbook!

SNE PUDDING/Snow Pudding

1/3 C butter
½ C sugar
6 eggs, separated
¾ C boiling water
1 tsp vanilla
½ C cold water
2 tbsp (2 envelopes) unflavored gelatin
2 C hot water
1 ¼ C sugar
1/3 to ½ C strained lemon juice

Cream butter. Add sugar gradually and cream until fluffy. Gradually add 6 egg yolks until smooth. Very gradually add boiling water – be careful not to cook the eggs! Put mixture into saucepan and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until thickened. Remove sauce from heat and blend in vanilla extract. Chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.


Put cold water in a bowl and soften gelatin. Let stand about 5 minutes. Add hot water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in sugar and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved. Chill mixture in refrigerator, stirring occasionally, until the consistency of thick, unbeaten egg whites. Lightly oil a fancy mold and set aside to drain.


Meanwhile, beat 6 egg whites until stiff peaks form.


Mix gelatin until frothy. Gently but thoroughly fold egg whites into gelatin. Once mixture is uniform, turn into prepared mold. Chill in refrigerator until firm.


When ready to serve, unmold onto serving plate and serve with Vanilla Sauce.















The preparation for this “pudding” reminded me a little of the Hexenschnee, but I liked this better because the texture was smoother and I liked the light lemon flavor of the gelatin. I had a hard time keeping the Vanilla Sauce smooth, and it was so custardy that I wasn’t a huge fan, but the dessert looked so lovely that I would definitely make it again.

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment