Friday, August 29, 2014

Sauerbraten

SAUERBRATEN
Marinated Beef

For my first excursion into The German & Viennese Cookbook, I went with a standard favorite. When I started this recipe, my husband objected because he thinks it’s not actual authentic (echte) Sauerbraten. However, he had absolutely no problem eating the finished product, so I’d say it’s ok.

His main objection seemed to be the lack of wine in the recipe. According to one legend, Sauerbraten was first made by the Romans and sent to the colony of Cologne, and the Romans’ recipe featured wine as the marinade for the meat. However, this legend lacks some historical accuracy.

Sauerbraten has been a popular dish in Germany for as long as history can recall. It usually calls for a tougher cut of meat (Germans don’t like to waste anything in their cooking) – usually beef nowadays, although other meats can also be used – but originally horse meat. Since tougher cuts are used, the meat is marinated for several days in either wine or vinegar according to region. Sauerbraten is traditionally served with red cabbage and some form of potato (pancakes, boiled, noodles, etc).

I decided to augment the recipe version found in the book to incorporate both regional flavors of wine and vinegar.

Sauerbraten/Marinated Beef

4lb beef pot roast
2 C vinegar
2 C water
1 large onion, diced
¼ C sugar
2 tsp salt
10 peppercorns
3 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
1 lemon, sliced

Wipe the meat clean with a damp cloth and place in a large bowl.

For my variation, instead of 2 C of vinegar (I assume white wine vinegar was intended) and 2 C of water, I substituted 1 C white wine vinegar, 1 C apple cider vinegar, 1 C water, and 1 C white wine (because I didn’t have any red). I also used ¼ C brown sugar instead of white for a richer flavor.

Combine all ingredients (except lemon) in a saucepan and heat without boiling. Pour hot liquid over meat and allow to cool. Add lemon slices and cover. Marinate in refrigerator for 4 days, turning meat once per day.

A good marinade is a thing of beauty.

I only marinated my beef for 2 ½ days and it was beautifully flavored and tender. Marinating for 4 days could only improve the flavor, but I wouldn’t recommend more than 5 days.

Remove meat from marinade and drain thoroughly. Heat a large pot over low heat and add 2 or 3 tbsp butter. Instead of butter, I used a few tablespoons of bacon fat from the Potato Salad preparations. Waste not!

 
Add the pot roast and brown slowly on all sides over medium heat. Slowly add 2 C of the remaining marinade (reserve remaining marinade for gravy). I strained all of the marinade before using it so I wouldn’t accidentally have whole peppercorns or cloves in the gravy!

Bring liquid to boiling. Reduce heat, cover pot tightly and simmer 2 ½ to 3 hours or until meat is tender when pierced with a fork. Add more of the marinade while cooking if necessary. Liquid surrounding meat should at all times be simmering, not boiling.

Mmm, it's falling apart. Yay!

Remove meat to a platter and keep warm. Set aside cooking liquid.

Melt ¼ C butter in the same pot and blend in ¼ C flour until the mixture bubbles and turns golden brown, stirring constantly.

At this point, I sadly did not have any more bacon fat, so I had to use butter, but I think using all the bacon waste really improved the flavor of the meat. Also, how great is it that I can use the same pot for this? Much better than the French constantly changing cooking vessels…

Gradually add 3 C liquid while stirring constantly. Liquid should be whatever cooking liquid and marinade remain. If reserved liquid does not equal 3 C, supplement with water.

Bring to boiling, cook rapidly while stirring, until gravy thickens. Using a whish, mix in ½ C sour cream. Cook over low heat 3-5 min until thoroughly heated.

 
This meal was an absolute success! The meat is flavorful and very tender, and the gravy is awesome! I served the Sauerbraten with Hot Potato Salad and Red Cabbage for a truly German dinner.

I’d like to thank my friends and coworkers TH, DR, and KM for tasting this creation and giving it a big thumbs up!

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment