Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Warmer Kartoffelsalat

WARMER KARTOFFELSALAT
Hot Potato Salad

While my German-heritage family has made potato salad for years, the first time I ever enjoyed hot potato salad was at a local Christkindelmarkt while I was in college. When I chose Sauerbraten for our evening meal, I decided to pair it with the hot potato salad from The German & Viennese Cookbook.

Warmer Kartoffelsalat/Hot Potato Salad

2 lb potatoes
12 slices bacon
1 1/2 C chopped onions
1 C plus 2 tbsp vinegar (I used white wine vinegar) 
1 1/2 tbsp sugar (I used brown sugar) 
1 1/2 tsp salt
3/4 MSG 
1/4 tsp pepper

Wash the potatoes and cut into halves. Boil potatoes for about 20 min or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Dry and cut into quarters.



Dice and fry the bacon. Reserve the drippings. Use about 6 tbsp of the bacon fat to cook the onion until transparent. Add the rest of the ingredients to the onions and heat to boiling. Add in the diced bacon. Pour entire heated mixture over the potatoes and toss lightly to coat evenly.


This is a delightfully simple recipe, and it was sooo delicious! By itself or coated in some of the Sauerbraten gravy, this is absolutely a hit!

Once again, thank you to my friends and coworkers for tasting this recipe!

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment