Friday, September 5, 2014

Rotkohl

WARNING: REHAB PATIENT

ROTKOHL
Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage

I'm going to warn everyone up front: this was a TERRIBLE FAILURE. I'm not sure why, except perhaps that the cabbage didn't cook long enough or there wasn't enough sugar or water. In any case, I plan to rehabilitate this recipe with my own augmentations at some point in the future.

However, for right now, here is the original recipe from The German & Viennese Cookbook:

Rotkohl/Sweet-Sour Red Cabbage

2 lbs red cabbage
1/3 - 1/2 C brown sugar
3/4 tsp allspice
4 whole cloves
1/2 C vinegar
1/4 C butter


Rinse,  core, quarter, and shred the cabbage. Put the cabbage in a saucepan with enough salted water to cover it, along with the sugar and spices. Cover loosely and boil 8-12 min or until cabbage is just tender.


Remove from heat and drain. Add vinegar and butter to cabbage, toss to coat and serve.

Well, I served this with the Sauerbraten and Potato Salad, but this was the odd-one out in an otherwise wildly successful meal. The cabbage was tender, sure, but it tasted so unbearably like sulfur that we just couldn't eat it.

                                          Instead, we gave it to the "garbage disposal."

Like I said, I think the trouble with our cabbage may have been the water. Since my other two pots were engaged with the Sauerbraten and Potato Salad, I had to use my smallest saucepan for the cabbage and couldn't cover it with the salted water. I would definitely recommend covering the cabbage completely in the salted water for cooking, and maybe add a bit more sugar? Good luck!

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment