Friday, September 26, 2014

Reuben Casserole


REUBEN CASSEROLE

The 18th Annual Bake-Off cookbook brings us a recipe that I was incredibly excited to try. I truly love Reuben sandwiches (and Rachels, by-the-by), so I figured a Reuben casserole would be a delicious dinner as we move into these first cool days of autumn.

Reuben Casserole

11 oz. can sauerkraut, drained
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
2 tbsp Thousand Island dressing
2 tbsp butter
8 oz. shredded corned beef
2 C shredded Swiss cheese
1 canister 6 or 8 biscuits
¼ tsp caraway seed OR fennel seed

Spread sauerkraut in bottom of 12x8 in baking dish. I would definitely recommend strenuously draining the sauerkraut before beginning this recipe. I would also recommend using the 12x8 or even a 13x9 pan, because with a shallower dish the juices will bubble over the sides of the dish up during cooking and you’ll have a stinky burning mess on the bottom of your oven.

Top sauerkraut with tomato slices. Dot with butter and dressing. I cut the butter into slices first, then into little quarter chunks.


Cover with corned beef and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450oF for 15 minutes.

Separate biscuits into halves or thirds. Slightly overlap biscuits on top of casserole to cover. Sprinkle with seeds. Bake at 425oF for 15 to 20 minutes until biscuit topping is golden brown.


Wow, this was a surprise winner. I’m not usually a huge fan of casseroles, but this was pretty delicious. All of the ingredients and flavors are true to a good Reuben sandwich (except maybe the biscuits). If I make this again, I will probably add a little more salad dressing. I would also substitute out the pre-made biscuits for some homemade pumpernickel or rye dough dollops. But, all-in-all, a tasty dinner and a good re-warm for lunches in the toaster oven or the microwave.


Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment