Friday, January 9, 2015

Kohlrabi in Rahmsosse


KOHLRABI IN RAHMSOSSE
Kohlrabi with Sour Cream

I had never cooked kohlrabi before – I didn’t even know what it was! I mean, I had seen it in the produce section of the grocery store, but I had no idea what to do with it. A little research on the Internet discovered that kohlrabi is related to broccoli, but is a human cultivar. It has a strange bulbous stem, which is the part I cut up for us to eat. The kohlrabi reminded me of something between a potato and an apple in terms of texture.

Kohlrabi in Rahmsosse/Kohlrabi in Sour Cream

2 lb kohlrabi
3 tbsp butter
¼ C hot water
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp MSG
1 C sour cream
1 tbsp flour
¼ tsp MSG
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper


Trim off stems and leaves from kohlrabi, wash and pare off outer green skin. I accidentally did not remove the green skin, which was not a total disaster, but the skin does have some weird fibrous bits in it. Cut kohlrabi into ½ in cubes. Heat the butter in a skillet and cook the kohlrabi for about 2 minutes. Add water and seasonings. Cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until tender.


Meanwhile, mix together sour cream and seasonings. Remove kohlrabi from skillet and set aside to keep warm. Add sour cream mixture to skillet, stirring constantly. When well blended, stir in the kohlrabi and cook, constantly stirring, until sauce becomes thicker.


This was very interesting. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but we actually really liked the kohlrabi. It was creamy but still crunchy and paired very well with the meatballs.

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment