Monday, January 19, 2015

(Welsh) Rarebit

So, I thought I'd crack open a brand new book today. It promises 230 Tasty Sandwich Recipes. A lot of the things I saw as I flipped through didn't look very inventive or different from sandwiches I already know, but as I moved toward the back of the book I found rarebit. I had eaten rarebit once before, but I had never made it. Now, I know it's not really a sandwich, but it's in there anyway.

Unfortunately, the rarebit recipe in this book is really wrong. Like, really. They said to use American cheese (which doesn't melt well), and it didn't say anything about using beer (rarebit is traditionally made with a dark beer). So, after a bit of internet research and some trial-and-error, this is what we get:

Rarebit - Essen Girl Style

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp mustard (Dijon or spicy brown)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 C dark beer (porter or stout is a nice choice)
1/2 - 3/4 C whole milk or cream
2 C cheddar cheese

Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook until thick. Mix in mustard and Worcestershire and cook until very thick. Whisk in beer and mix until smooth. Add milk and cheese, stirring until cheese is completely melted. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.

A lot of recipes I found, including the original from the cookbook, call for pouring rarebit over a slice of bread (hence, "sandwich," I guess). But I served my rarebit to friends during a game night, so I figured dipping would be better than pouring. Homemade soft pretzels and some sliced summer sausage went very well in this tasty, cheesy dip.


Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment