Monday, November 10, 2014

Braciola di Manzo


BRACIOLA DI MANZO
Beef Rolls

Another excursion into The Italian Cookbook found me making these delicious beef rolls, extraordinarily reminiscent of the “rouladen” that my German family makes. Our rouladen are very similar to these Italian beef rolls – the German version my family makes includes bacon, pickles, and onions inside the rolls. Rouladen is one of my favorite family dinners. Grandma makes the rolls and a delicious brown pan gravy, plus boiled potatoes and pickled red cabbage. I served these Italian beef rolls with Roman Style Broccoli.

Braciola di Manzo/Beef Rolls

1 ½ lb round steak about ½ in thick
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
½ tsp chopped parsley
2 bacon slices, chopped
½ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

Olive oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 ½ C canned tomatoes, drained
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 bay leaf


Wipe beef clean with a damp cloth and set out flat on a clean working surface. Cover steak with a mixture of the remaining ingredients in the top list.

 
Roll up steak to enclose the filling mixture and tie securely.


Heat olive oil and onions in a large skillet until onions are transparent. Add beef roll and brown slowly on all sides.


Combine tomatoes with remaining ingredients. Pour tomato mixture over beef roll. Cover skillet and cook on low heat for 1 hour or until beef is tender. Make sure to turn the beef so you don’t burn the beef or the tomatoes! Remove string and bay leaf. Slice beef roll and serve.


Like I said, these reminded me of my family’s rouladen, so I was eager to taste them. The egg was a very interesting addition. Beef rolls of any kind are a great warm, filling dinner on cold evenings like the ones we’re having now. I served the beef rolls with the Roman Style Broccoli for a delicious Italian dinner.


Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment