Friday, November 14, 2014

Cracker Jills


CRACKER JILLS

Even though the hubby and I are “on a diet,” having dessert available in the evening is still quite comforting. I picked these cookies out of the 17th Annual Bake-Off cookbook.


Cracker Jills

3 oz cream cheese
2 C flour
1 ¼ C firmly packed brown sugar
½ C butter
¼ C molasses
½ tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 C salted Spanish peanuts
2 C coarsely crushed soda crackers

Combine cream cheese, flour, sugar, butter, molasses, baking soda, and egg. Mix well at low speed. Fold in peanuts and crackers and blend well. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.


Shape dough into small balls and roll each ball in sugar to coat. Place sugared balls on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375oF for 10 to 12 minutes.


I really like the crunch of the peanuts and crackers in these cookies, and the molasses added a sweetness so that these resembled cracker jacks (which I’m assuming was the intent). I would recommend that the cookies be baked for at least 12 minutes, if not 15, because they were still very soft inside and I prefer a crisper cookie. However, on the whole, these are a new favorite cookie, and my husband has already requested that I repeat this recipe at some point in the future.


Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment