Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Cream Filling


CREAM FILLING

I’m just going to say this right now: this is NOT a cream filling, it’s a custard filling. Okay, got that out of my system. My husband wanted a sweet, no-fruit, no-nut filling for his birthday cake, so I found this recipe in 250 Classic Cake Recipes.

Cream Filling

1/3 C sugar
3 tbsp cornstarch
¼ tsp salt
2 egg yolks
2 C scalded milk
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla

Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt very thoroughly. Add egg yolks and beat well. Add a little of the milk slowly to temper the egg mixture, then add entire mixture back into the pan with the milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add butter, cool, and add vanilla.


In order to speed up the cooling process I put my pan of filling in the freezer until it was easier to spread without making a complete mess. This was enough filling for 3 layers, according to the recipe book. Since I was only filling 2 layers, I piped the rest of the filling into Tamara’s cupcakes. The filling was sweet and tasty, just enough to offset the ChocolateCake that I used it to fill.

















Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment