Monday, February 9, 2015

Candy Bar In-Betweens


So, how did he do? Did you like his style? How about the cake - pretty snazzy, huh? I promise, if I ask him to 'guest star' on here again, I'll pick a less frustrating recipe!

Now, back to business as usual.

This might seem odd, but I’m sure I’m not alone when I say there was leftover Halloween candy hanging around my house and I needed something to do with it. Those fun-sized candy bars? Yeah, they went in these cookies from The 18th Annual Bake-Off, and I think it was the best thing for everyone involved.

Candy Bar In-Betweens

2 C confectioner’s sugar
1 C butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp almond extract
3 C flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
12 (7/8 oz) candy bars

Cream sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla and almond extract, beating until well blended. Mix in dry ingredients slowly. Cover and chill for 1 hour.


Roll out dough on a floured surface into an 18”x11” rectangle. Cut dough into 9 11”x2” strips. Place 2 candy bars, end-to-end, on a long strip of dough, cover with a second strip, place 2 more candy bars, and cover with a final strip of dough.


Round and seal edges of dough layers to create a log. Repeat with remaining candy bars and strips of dough. Cut logs into ½” slices (I recommend a very sharp, very heavy knife) and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375oF for 10 to 12 minutes.






























As far as preparation, layering the cookies and cutting the slices was a little tricky, especially because when cutting the candy bars tended to slip through the dough, but the end result was a batch of tasty, crispy cookies with a hint of chocolate inside. Definitely an ideal way to dispense with extra Halloween candy bars!

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment