Friday, February 20, 2015

Carote con Olio e Aceto


Our final pickled vegetable for the week is carrots! I thought it was an odd choice, since carrots tend to be hard and not very porous, which I would think was a requirement for a pickled item, but we shall see.

Carote con Olio e Aceto/ Pickled Carrots

6 to 8 carrots
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, quartered
1 hot pepper
½ tsp salt
White vinegar

After the overabundance of zucchini in the last recipe, I decided to play it safe and only used 3 or 4 carrots, but unfortunately that led to my jar not being completely full – sometimes you just can’t win. The addition of a hot pepper was very vague; I picked up a nice Hungarian pepper, but I decided to cook it a little with the carrots so it wouldn’t be at full blast in the jar.

Wash, pare, and cut carrots, then cook and drain. While the carrots are cooling, combine the remaining ingredients (except vinegar), mix in carrots and put in a 1 pint jar. Cover carrots with vinegar. Close jar and store in refrigerator at least 24 hours. Serve cold. Once again, shake, baby, shake!


Whew! Well, the moment I opened the jar, I could smell the hot peppers, which was nice. The carrots were basically still carrots, which is what I was expecting. I don’t know if pickled carrots are really a thing, but with the vinegary coating and the pickled peppers mixed in these were still pretty tasty.

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment