Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Zucchini con Olio e Aceto


The next pickled vegetable in our line-up is zucchini – I suppose they’re slightly more pickle-y because they are more like cucumbers. It’s too bad it’s so cold out, because I would love to be pickling zucchini from my own garden. Oh well, maybe next time.

Zucchini con Olio e Aceto/ Pickled Zucchini

3 to 4 zucchini
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, quartered
½ tsp oregano
¼ tsp salt
1 bay leaf
White vinegar

Wash and trim ends from zucchini, then cut into ¼ in. slices. Heat olive oil in skillet and cook zucchini slowly until browned, then drain.


While zucchini cool, mix remaining ingredients (except vinegar) together, then mix in zucchini and put in 1 pint jar. FYI, I must have picked monster zucchini or something, because I had closer to 2 pints of zucchini, but who’s complaining?


Cover zucchini with white vinegar. Close jar and store in refrigerator at least 24 hours. Serve cold. Again, just like with the mushrooms, I recommend giving your zucchini pickles a few shakes to keep the olive oil from congealing.


The zucchini pickles were a little more refreshing for me than the mushrooms. They still have a good crunch to them, and the vinegar flavor is less prominent. There is a subtle flavor from the herbs in the background, but I think if I make these again I will increase the amount of Italian herbs I add to the pickling liquid.

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment