Monday, October 27, 2014

Chocolate Marble Cake


CHOCOLATE MARBLE CAKE

Dessert! I love dessert! And even though I’m not normally a cake person, I decided I would dive into 250 Classic Cake Recipes. I asked my husband what kind of cake he would like, and we wound up picking this one because chocolate is yummy and marbling is fun!

Chocolate Marble Cake

Part 1
2 ½ C flour
2 ¼ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ C shortening
1 C sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
¾ C milk

Part 2
2 ½ oz chocolate, melted
½ tsp baking soda
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp shortening
¼ tsp salt
¼ C hot water

Sift dry ingredients from Part 1 together. Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Combine egg and egg yolks, beat well, and add to creamed mixture with vanilla. Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk in small amounts.

Combine ingredients for Part 2 in order listed, blending thoroughly. Divide batter from Part 1 into two: leave 1/3 of the batter white, while adding the mixture from Part 2 to the remaining 2/3 of the batter.


Drop batter by tablespoons into greased pan, alternating white and chocolate. You will notice, as I did, that this is a primarily chocolate cake (hence the name), so the alternating will not be even – instead, you should wind up with little veins of vanilla running through a mostly chocolate cake.


Bake at 350oF for 1 hour. Allow to cool completely, then frost as desired.


This was a tasty chocolate cake, to be sure. While a little dry, the Cocoa Almond Frosting I put on it added a nice touch. The marbling inside the cake turned out very pretty. This cake is one that I would use as a fancy showpiece for a special event – doesn’t it look nice?




















Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment