Friday, October 10, 2014

French Fried Onions


Before we get to the food, I have a great announcement:

WOOHOO!!! WE'VE REACHED 300+ VIEWS!!!

Thank you SO much to everyone who's been reading and supporting Essen Girl! I promise to continue improving the way I post and test these recipes. Thank you!


FRENCH FRIED ONIONS

In the Vegetables section of The Creole Cookbook, I found this yummy recipe to serve alongside the Broiled Lamb Chops. These are basically just onion rings, but the batter turned out really delicious!

French Fried Onions

Fry oil
3 Onions
1 tbsp Butter
1 ¼ C flour
Salt
Pepper
MSG
Basic Spice Mix (See note below)
2 Eggs
¾ C Milk
Worcestershire sauce

Clean onions and cut into slices ¼ in thick. Separate slices into rings and set aside.

Let’s be clear: this recipe only called to season the flour with a tiny amount of salt, pepper, and MSG. While I love following these recipes, I felt the need to stretch my seasoning wings on this one, especially because so many of these recipes have been under-seasoned as written. My Basic Spice Mix, that I used for this recipe, is just Garlic Powder, Celery Salt, Coriander, Paprika, and Tumeric in amounts that “look right.” I use this as the base for seasoning a lot of my cooking – these spices just add a good “oomph” and a strong background flavor. Feel free to experiment with the seasoning for this and the other recipes as you see tasty!


Sift together flour and spices. In a separate bowl, beat eggs until fluffy, then add milk and W sauce. Melt butter, allow to cool, then blend into egg mixture. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients; add liquid all at once and blend until smooth.


Dip onion rings into batter and coat evenly. Deep-fry (remember, oil at 350oF or 185oC!) 2 to 3 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown (remember to turn them so both sides brown!). Drain and salt.


Again, my husband would NOT leave me alone while I was frying these, so I almost didn’t have enough to serve on our plates with the lamb chops! They were tasty, crispy, and very satisfying. I would recommend letting them brown just past what you think is a good color, because as fried things cool, they tend to lose a little of the crispness, and you don’t want to wind up with soggy onion rings. Another success story!

Have a question or a request? Put it in the comments below and I’ll be sure to respond. Fröhe essen!

No comments:

Post a Comment